Click to set custom HTML
The Mooroopna Hotel circa 1870's. Later the site of the Moynihan Buildings. Photo from Mooroopna to 1988.
In 1834 a government Act introduced a grocer's licence for the sale of bottled liquor, to be consumed on the premises between 6pm to midnight.
By 1870 an amendment to the Act, was required to supply also at least 6 rooms for accommodation.
In 1876 they were more than 20 hotels in Mooroopna.
In 1885 the licensing Act was changed. The coming of the motor car also reduced the need for as many hotels.
In 1916 the licensing Act was amended again & 6 o'clock closing was also introduced & stayed in force till 1965, & then extended to 10pm. Mooroopna had the Punt Hotel built by William Archer in 1860, at 19 McLennan St, Mooroopna.
Ten years later William Morrell, Mooroopna's second resident, built the 2nd hotel, The Junction, at the cnr of MLennan St & Echuca Road. In 1894 the name was changed to the Goulburn Valley Irrigation Hotel & closed in 1899.
The Coach Horse Hotel was built in 1874 by John Hardy. Being demolished in 1920's.
The Commerical Hotel in circa 1891. Photo from Mooroopna to 1988.
In 1875, the Commerical Hotel was opened near the cnr of McLennan & Morrell Streets & later extended to the corner. Known for many years as 'Caligari's after Les Galigari, proprietor between 1933-55 & again between 1958-63.
Royal Mail Hotel in Mooroopna, 1891. Photo from Mooroopna to 1988.
Royal Mail Hotel 1988. Photo from Morooppna to 1988. Talk about a beautiful building ruined by advertising signs.
The Royal Mail Hotel on cnr of McLennan & Archer Streets was built in 1877 by John Hardy. He had previously operated the Coach & Horses Hotel & also the Mooroopna Punt, until 1877. The hotel has had many owners. Neville Coe 1951-75.
The Mooroopna Hotel operated from a weatherboard building, originally opened as a general store by J.Morrow & Co, on the site of the Moynihan Building between Morrell & Mill Streets (number 80 approx).
Morroopna also had the Lancefield Hotel in 1876. After several owners it was demolished in the 1920's. On the cnr of Cornish & Echuca roads we had the All Nations Hotel & further down the Coghlan's Hotel.
Three more hotels were on Echuca road, the Plough & Harrow on cnr of Ardmona & Echuca roads & Baker's Hotel at Undera. Another hotel at Undera, Doidge's on the present site of the Undera hotel today.
Another five hotels were built around Ardmona.
Information and photos from Trove online newspapers & Mooroopna to 1988.
From a 'History of Mooroopna, Ardmona & District' by D.M.McLennan. 1841-1936. Mentions Gemmill's "Wheat Sheaf Hotel" owned by J.J.Gemmill. Circa 1874. Chapter 111 'The Selectors' & page 27. Available online at SLV.
Cricketer's Arms Hotel in circa 1950's. Photo from Mooroopna to 1988.
The first Cricketers' Arms was opened in 1876, cnr of McLennan & Northgate Streets. The rebuilt hotel was sold to the Carlton & United Brewery in 1962 & rebuilt again in 1971 & motel units were added. The Shamrock Hotel was built in 1876 in McLennan Street & Mill Street cnr.
The Shamrock was closed in 1899 & turned into a general store.